Natural Hair Isn't for Everyone?

One of the joys of social media is being able to share and connect with other people. When I first went natural, I joined several popular online groups. I was very passionate about sharing my hair journey and offering advice to others.  I quickly found though that not everyone felt the same about natural hair.

I would often come across someone who felt that "natural hair isn't for everyone" or better yet "not everyone should wear their natural hair." Honestly these types of comments baffle me; especially since they come from other African Americans. I think many of the people making these comments assume that natural hair is supposed to look a certain way.  Or perhaps they aren't educated on natural hair... the journey one takes in learning how to properly care for their own hair. 

Such comments can be damaging to our women and community. Instead we should be encouraging and empowering each other. Not everyone is going to have a looser curl pattern or long thick hair. Better yet, not everyone will initially know how to care for their hair. It takes time...trial and error when developing a hair regimen. In short..natural hair is for EVERY woman however the journey itself may not be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Vision Board

Finally Approved for Breast Reduction