Tips for New Naturals

This Spring I attended two hair events in the valley. After speaking to numerous women it became very clear that a lot of naturals still have no idea what to do with their hair. I know it can be difficult with all of the info out there.  Everyone is a YouTube hair guru. Everyone is a subject matter expert on hair. Well I'm gonna tell ya...YOU should be the expert on your hair. I mean you've had it the longest right? You really need to take the time to learn about your hair. More importantly, what works best for your lifestyle.

I've listed below some tips for those thinking about going natural or currently transitioning.

1. Develop a healthy hair routine.

This is perhaps the most important tip. Developing a healthy hair routine means learning how to properly cleanse, moisturize, detangle, condition, and protect your hair. This also means not doing something that will counteract your hair health. For example, you may want to cut down heat usage if your already have dry hair.

2. Have a support group.

I hear it all time about a woman's family, boyfriend or husband not fully supporting their natural hair journey. Let's be honest, not everyone is going to understand YOUR journey. If you feel like your not getting the support you need turn to the internet. I know it seems a bit cliche but you can find great support groups through the forums and Facebook. Why not join one or create one of your own. 

3. Don't compare your journey to others.

I've mentioned this tip before. It's so important that you don't compare your hair journey with others. When women ask me how long I've been natural they are shocked at how fast my hair has grown. Hair growth depends mostly on genetics and your regimen. I'm also very quick to point out that I was pregnant during my hair journey.

Point being, you never know how a person's lifestyle has effected their hair growth.

4.  Pay attention to how your using products.

I think a lot of naturals are more concerned with the product then the ingredients. If you're experiencing any issues with dandruff, hair dryness, or itchy scalp I encourage you to watch the ingredients in your products.

Also be mindful of how many products you are applying to your hair. The more products you use, the better chance you'll have product build up.

5.  Have patience.

I know I know!!! This so hard to put in concept when your first going natural however you really have to be patient. This is a journey. Most of you have been relaxed longer than you've been natural. You now have to figure out how your hair reacts in it's natural state. If you have a healthy hair regimen, your hair will grow. I honestly didn't start seeing any real length until 2 1/2 years into my journey. 

So that's it ladies. I know it can be frustrating and you want to see immediate results. However if you follow some of these tips and shift your focus, you'll find your hair journey more fulfilling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Vision Board

Cypress Oil for Varicose Veins

Finally Approved for Breast Reduction