Wash Day Woes


One thing all of us natural girls have in common is the dreaded wash day. Unless you have a twa, wash day can be time consuming. I find myself sometimes making excuses in attempt to avoid washing my hair. I finally give in like most of you.


My motto for hair care has always been: keep it simple. However due to the thickness and length of my hair, wash day is nothing but that.  Here are the details:


Detangle

I detangle twice, once on dry hair and again on wet hair with conditioner. I typically detangle the night before and re-twist my hair in large twists. I don’t have a go to detangle spray but lately I’ve been using kwenCH’s Dale moisturizing spray.  Sometimes I just use warm water and coconut oil. Detangling takes me around 30 minutes.



Wash

I co-wash weekly, wash monthly and use a clarifying shampoo every 2-3 months. I use A LOT of conditioner. I’d say 75% of the bottle. I wash my hair while it’s in large twists and unravel each twist to work the product in.  I lightly pat my hair but rarely do I ring out the water. Instead, I wrap by hair up in a cotton scarf.  


Prep for Style

Once my hair is cleansed, I apply a leave in conditioner and immediately set my hair in medium - large sized twists. I apply oil before I pin the twists up. I typically don’t set my hair in the desired hairstyle until the next day.  I have a bit leeway since I only go into the office once a week.  


So now that you know my wash routine, here are some tips:
  • Try a prepoo before washing your hair. Coconut oil is a great prepoo or make your own.  
  • Finger detangle on dry hair. The first time you finger detangle it will be time consuming. However once it becomes routine, it will get easier.
  • Wash your hair in medium – large size twists. Take each twist down and work the product into your hair. Rinse the shampoo out and follow up with the conditioner.
  • Wash your scalp – I specifically use shampoo to wash my scalp/hair whereas the conditioner I focus more on my hair/ends.
  • Detangle with conditioner. Always use a wide tooth comb or a modified Denman brush.
  • Do not ring out your hair once done.  WATER = MOISTURE. Lightly pat your hair dry. Avoid towels if possible. Use an old cotton t-shirt.
  • Do not get into the habit of only cowashing. Washing with only conditioner will not remove product build up. You have to wash your hair with shampoo. 
  • NEVER shampoo matted or tangled hair. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Vision Board

Cypress Oil for Varicose Veins

Finally Approved for Breast Reduction